I had a wonderful 4th of July which I celebrated my mom’s birthday! We visited relatives in New York but avoided the crazy city & its tight security. Then we visited our town’s park, relaxed near the lake’s edge and watched fireworks blast loudly in front of us. I made 2 scrumptious cookies for her birthday- Homemade Lofthouse Sugar Cookies and Shortbread Cookies! I can never have too many of these! I was so proud of myself that the Lofthouse sugar cookies came out great and yummy! Normally, every baking session is a hit or miss which shows how baking is very technical!
The Shortbread cookies were softer than I expected. Once I dipped them into melted chocolate, they were delicious! I like how simple and convenient this recipe is. You can definitely add more ingredients to this cookie such as using corn or rice flour.
Shortbread Cookies by Sharmis Passion
Ingredients & Directions:
|1/2 cup||butter, softened|
|1/2 tsp||vanilla extract|
|1 tsp||lemon/orange zest|
1. Cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Add vanilla extract and mix quickly.
2. Pour in dry ingredients-flour, and salt. Mix well until dough is soft.
3. Chill dough in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. After dough is chilled, roll out dough on floured surface into 1/4 inch thickness. Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut the sheet of dough. Roll the scraps into a ball, roll out and cut again.
5. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cookies cool.
6. Optional: Microwave some chocolate chips or Wilton chocolate melts in 30 second intervals. Stir chocolate after every 30 seconds. Dip cooled cookies halfway into melted chocolate & add sprinkles on top of chocolate.
Lofthouse Sugar Cookies by Just a Pinch Recipes
Cookie Ingredients & Directions:
|1/2 cup||sour cream|
|1/2 cup||butter, softened|
|1/2 tsp||pure vanilla extract|
|2 cup||all purpose flour|
|1 1/2 tsp||baking powder|
|1/2 tsp||baking soda|
1. In a large bowl, mix together butter, sour cream, vanilla extract, butter and eggs. Mix until there’s no lumpy butter.
2. Add flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda to the wet mixture. Mix well until dough becomes smooth.
3. Freeze the dough for 15-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Scoop out evenly sized cookie dough, roll a ball in hands, and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-11 minutes.
5. Let cookies cool completely before decorating with frosting.
Frosting Ingredients & Directions:
Modifications: Cut the recipe in half and no shortening
|2 cup||powdered sugar|
|1 tsp||pure vanilla extract|
|1/4 cup||butter, softened|
1. Mix butter for 2 minutes on medium speed.
2. Add 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Then add another 1/2 cup and beat until smooth. Add in vanilla extract and milk. Add in rest of powdered sugar.
Stay cool and Enjoy!